New for 2014: Children’s Programs!
Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014
by Heather Hill, Children’s Programs Manager
It is finally starting to feel real, our new building is very close to being finished and it is beautiful. While there are still a lot of details to attend to, we are finally beginning to see what an amazing adventure we will be having with our SEEDS’ kids and families once we get in there! The new space will offer our kids a gorgeous sun filled activity room where they can practice movement, creative projects, play games, and have comfortable spaces for reading and quiet reflection. They will do all this while gazing out at the bountiful garden that they have grown themselves. The space will offer a seamless indoor/outdoor experience where kids can run from the vibrant indoor room to gardens and back again. We know the experience for kids and adults alike will be a magical one. We are thrilled that in the new space our participants will also be able to walk right from the garden with their harvest and into the kitchen to experience a hands-on cooking lesson. We will practice setting the table, sharing delicious meals together, cleaning up, and composting. In doing so, kids will experience the classic “seed to plate” cycle. However, ahem, over used that expression may be, it is still an experience that is elusive to a vast majority of the young people we work with at SEEDS. Our goal has always been to bring the cycle of growing food, preparing it, and eating it to life for program participants while taking advantage of the many corollary opportunities to teach ecology, biology, creative arts, movement and so much more. Furthermore, we seek to create a safe space where children can experience the beauty, mystery, and solace of green spaces within this urban jungle we call Durham.
- Monday, February 17th
- 1st-5th graders
- 1st-5th grades
- February 18th-April 4th
- Runs Monday-Thursday
- 3:30-5:30 pm
- buses do drop at SEEDS from Eastway and several other area schools, please inquire.
- Cost: $150,
- Financial assistance available (no one is turned away for financial reasons), please inquire at 919-683-1197
- Registration for our first After-school Session is now open for former participants and online registration will open to the public on January 21st!
- Please call us today to register if you are a former SEEDS’ participant. 919-683-1197 Ask for Thaddeus Bennett ext. 4007!
- Availability will be limited!