Sweet Kids Grow Sweet Potatoes!
Wednesday, Nov 8, 2017
It’s fall in the garden and kitchen!
This week, our SEEDlings harvested sweet potatoes from the garden and cooked up this delicious and nutritious recipe in the kitchen, using both the root and the greens from the sweet potatoes.
Check out the recipe below.
SEEDLings Sauteed Sweet Potato Greens with Roasted Sweet Potato, Green Onions, and Feta Cheese
For the Sauteed Sweet Potato Greens
- Large colander full of sweet potato greens
- 3-4 diced green onions, chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
1. REMOVE sweet potato leaves from stems and set aside. Remove smaller stems from the larger, tougher stems. Discard the larger stems and roughly chop the smaller stems.
2. HEAT olive oil in medium-sized pan over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté until just softened, about 3 minutes.
3. ADD stem pieces and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
4. ADD leaves, salt and pepper to taste, and maple syrup. Sauté until leaves are wilted, about 2 minutes.
For the Roasted Sweet Potato Chunks
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Coconut oil
- Sea Salt
- Black pepper
- Nutmeg (optional)
- Feta cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat.
- In a large bowl, toss together potatoes, coconut oil, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Spread the potatoes in an even layer on a large baking sheet. Roast, tossing occasionally, until soft and caramelized, about 1 hour.
In large serving dish, combine sweet potato greens with roasted sweet potato. Crumble feta on top and serve. Enjoy!