What We’re Cookin: BBQ Tofu
Published Tuesday, Jun 25, 2019
Each day of camp, students are hard at work preparing a healthy and delicious lunch to share! One recent favorite from summer camp was delicious crispy tofu with homemade barbeque sauce! Try this at home for a delicious summer meal to share on a hot day.
Crispy Tofu with Barbeque Sauce
For the tofu:
- 1 block tofu (firm or extra-firm)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil for frying
For the barbeque sauce:
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Drain the tofu by removing from the package and placing on a plate lined with paper towels. Top with additional paper towels and an upside down plate, and weigh down with cans, jars or beans or whatever heavy objects you have on hand. Let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Make the coating for the tofu by combining the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- When the tofu is drained, cut the block into 1/2 – 3/4″ squares for bite-sized pieces. Toss the tofu in the flour mixture.
- In a heavy-bottom skillet or cast iron pan, pour a thin layer of oil and heat over medium heat. Fry the tofu in batches, a single layer at a time, until crispy on all four sides, 4-6 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Make the barbeque sauce by combining all ingredients in a saucepan and heating to a simmer for about 5 – 10 minutes or until slightly darkened and combined.
- Toss the tofu and a few spoonfuls of the barbeque sauce until coated. Serve with your favorite veggies! (We like sauteed collards!)