Vegan Chili & Etouffee
Published Wednesday, Jul 24, 2019
On rainy days, there is nothing better than a bowl of something healthy and warm to feed your body and soul (even in the summer!). Campers at SEEDS this week made two dishes together that did just that on the rainiest day in weeks and served it over rice with a side of golden milk. Packed with protein, fiber and so many vitamins and minerals, try this delicious meal out for yourself on your next cozy day!
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 c green lentils
1 can white beans
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
Salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, saute the onion and garlic in 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat, until soft and fragrant
- Add the lentils, white beans, and crushed tomatoes to the pot. Add 1 c water, 1 tbsp of chili powder (or more if you like it spicy!) along with 1 tsp paprika and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
Mushroom & Spinach Etouffee
6 portabello mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
1 c shitake mushrooms, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
8 oz spinach, chopped
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Garlic powder
3 tbs Butter
1/3 c flour
2 c vegetable stock
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly nutty and brown. Add the chopped mushrooms and onion and saute until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the spinach and wilt, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour, stirring to coat the vegetables and then add the vegetable stock and spices. Whisk if needed to fully combine the flour. If the gravy seems too thick, add a little bit more water or vegetable stock. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook the gravy for 3-5 minutes or until the desired consistency.
Serve the chili and etouffee side by side over rice!