Vegan Banana Nut Muffins
Published Monday, Mar 2, 2020
Chef Eli has been building skills in the kitchen with our elementary students all year long, and last week the students had the chance to create a recipe all on their own! Students followed the directions and successfully made these plant-based banana nut muffins in our kitchen classroom, serving up a delicious afternoon snack with a side of autonomy and leadership skills!
VEGAN BANANA NUT MUFFINS
Prep Time 10 mins, Cook Time 20 mins Total Time 30 mins, Servings 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup vegan butter melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped and divided
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or line with muffin holders a muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Add melted butter, both sugars, milk, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry and mix gently together until a uniform batter is formed. A few lumps are okay.
- Fold in ¾ cup of the walnuts.
- Place batter in muffin tins, about ¾ full. Top with remaining walnuts and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes in the muffin tin before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.