The Chicken Brigade
Interested in chickens but want to learn more about them before bringing them into your yard/life? The Chicken Brigade is for you! Our Chickadiers take care of the chickens in the Southside Garden. Each member is responsible for a day of the week and comes to the garden to check in the chickens, and make sure they have what they need to thrive.
A Day in the Life of a Chickadier
On your assigned day, you will spend about 15 minutes checking on the chickens. During each visit, you will:
- Clean out any wet food from the feed containers, and fill them up with dry food.
- Change out the water in the chickens’ hanging water containers.
- Collect any eggs they have laid for a staff member to add to our collection. (We use them in the cooking lessons for our SEEDlings After-School Program.)
- Look at the chickens. If you see anything unusual, please let SEEDS staff and other Chickadiers know (via our Google Group).
- Play with the chickens as much as you like! They enjoy being held and petted and are (mostly!) sweet.
Interested in getting involved with the Chicken Brigade? Email email@example.com.