ABOUT SEEDS AND ITS MISSION
Founded in 1994, SEEDS is a two-acre urban garden and kitchen classroom in the heart of Durham. SEEDS develops the capacity of young people to respect life, each other, and the earth through growing, cooking, and sharing food. Our beautiful downtown property includes two acres of land with a classroom pavilion, a greenhouse, a chicken coop, beehives, a pond, environmental education exhibits and multiple areas for growing edible and medicinal plants. The SEEDS building, constructed in 2014, holds staff offices, a kitchen and a multipurpose classroom where young people prepare and share meals they make, using food they grow in the garden.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for all of SEEDS’ public-facing and externally focused
communications, including crafting of messaging, social media management, graphic design, and potentially
working with a Development Coordinator to craft fundraising messages to donors. This role starts at 5-10 hours per
week and they report to the Executive Director.
Responsible for all communications, including:
- A comprehensive marketing and outreach plan to increase awareness of SEEDS program
- An email marketing strategy that increases our newsletter and engagement
- Sending an informative, engaging newsletter every 2-4 weeks, or as needed
- A social media plan that boosts our following and engagement online and bolsters our positive,
- Regularly posting social media content that is platform-specific and consistently branded
- Managing social media communications and engagement online
- Website improvements and maintenance to ensure a professional online presence and clarity around our
mission and work
- Designing digital and printed materials for programs and fundraising efforts
- Telling SEEDS’ story on our blog and website with creative and compelling content
- Working collaboratively with program and other staff to identify new and innovative ways to engage with
SEEDS stakeholders throughout the year
- (Examples: parents, volunteers, donors and community partners)
- Photographing, documenting, editing and curating photos, videos and other visual media that tell
the story of SEEDS for outward-facing communications
- Coordinating with staff and program team to produce relevant content, and communications deliverables
- Maintaining and forming good relationships with community members
- Appropriately engaging community and program participants for anecdotal stories and narratives for
- Promoting any SEEDS events, activities, initiatives, fundraising campaigns, and regular SEEDS updates for
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
We seek a Communications Coordinator who is inspired by our mission with excellent people skills and experience
building relationships with youth, participant-families, and our local community. This role is seeking a good story
teller, who can create a narrative about SEEDS to share our work and impact. An outstanding candidate should bring
excitement and enthusiasm for building a better future and the ability to speak with diverse groups of people about
SEEDS’ mission, vision and values.
Ideally, a candidate will have previous experience with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tok, Snapchat,
WordPress, and will have proficiency using InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator to manage, edit, and create
communications, programs, and development materials. Proficiency with Microsoft Excel or Google Suite is
The Communication Coordinator may be required to stand and walk for long periods of time, to bend at the knees
and hips and lift at least 30 pounds overhead.
This is a contract position with a flexible schedule and remote work options. Availability needed during operation
hours of Monday through Saturday as discussed and established with the Executive Director. Hours of operation
currently vary, with some weekend and evening programming.
This position is a contract position. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter and resume with three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture and encourage applications from all interested persons,
including, but not limited to, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ individuals.