OPS & ADMIN COORDINATOR
ABOUT SEEDS AND ITS MISSION
Founded in 1994, SEEDS is a two-acre urban garden and kitchen classroom in the heart of Durham. SEEDS develops the capacity of young people to respect life, each other, and the earth through growing, cooking, and sharing food. Our beautiful downtown property includes two acres of land with a classroom pavilion, a greenhouse, a chicken coop, beehives, a pond, environmental education exhibits and multiple areas for growing edible and medicinal plants. The SEEDS building, constructed in 2014, holds staff offices, a kitchen and a multipurpose classroom where young people prepare and share meals they make, using food they grow in the garden.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Operations and Administrative Coordinator will be responsible for the proper functioning and maintenance of the 4,000-square foot facility and office. They will be a welcoming presence at the front desk, directing calls and visitors to the proper place/person. They will report to the Executive Director.
|Area of Responsibility
|Building Operations & Management
- Responsible for the maintenance of the 4,000-square-foot facility, including:
- Checking on and remedying building issues as they arise.
- Creating and keeping an inviting space with a good flow and great atmosphere.
- Following and improving upon weekly, monthly, yearly maintenance schedules for the building with the goals of prevention, efficiency, and sustainability in mind.
- Developing a system for tracking building maintenance
- Scheduling building cleanings and other service contractors, as well as meetings with those using or renting the space and assigning on-site point person when outside of Ops & Admin Coordinator’s work schedule.
- Managing and maintaining building technology (including computers, printers, appliances and phones)
|Reception & Account Management
- Responsible for front desk reception, including:
- Checking in and signing out students/taking attendance during programming hours
- Interacting with parents and visitors; serving as a liaison between staff and the public. On occasion, tabling on behalf of SEEDS; this is when interested or as needed.
- Responding to inquiries about visiting SEEDS, group volunteer, and community service requests.
- Managing emails that come to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org as well as forms used for tracking volunteer hours logged and waivers and corresponding about schedules.
|20%/ 4 Hrs
- Processing incoming mail and receipts, including purchase request and reconciliation forms for Executive Director and bookkeeper.
- Preparing office and building budget, drafting new documents, and shopping for materials/services as needed.
- Keeping electronic files organized on our server in Public Drive.
- Answering front desk questions and phone, and occasionally hosting tours of the property (as needed).
- Ensuring that staff chores and cleaning protocols have been completed.
- Helping to compile and improve upon a comprehensive SEEDS Operations & Administration Manual, so that it accurately reflects the operations and administrative needs of the organization.
- Other administrative tasks, as needed.
|30%/ 6 Hrs
- Supports management of incoming communications, routes to appropriate staff member
- Supports outward facing communications with staff and ED
- Checks social media accounts for general questions, routes to appropriate staff member
- Helps take pictures, generate content for programs
| 10%/ 2 Hrs
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
This position requires a problem-solver who has a strong attention to detail, a drive for maximum efficiency, a knack for developing systems, and excellent interpersonal skills. As part of a small staff, this person must be a team player.
Some experience in office administration and building operations is ideal. Spanish proficiency or fluency is strongly desired. Working
Conditions and Compensation:
20-25 hours per week, $16 per hour. Schedule is flexible, need availability from 11am to 3pm daily.
Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please. The position will remain open until filled.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture and encourage applications from all interested persons, including people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals.